If you get lost
- Stop and think. Stay calm.
- Recheck your navigation and maps
- Re tracing your steps a short distance may assist. Locate your last known point if possible.
- Gaining some height may assist in orientation and communications
If above does not help STAY WHERE YOU ARE.
- Shelter. Find or make shelter to stay warm and dry.
- Call for help. Use communication devices you have with you; e.g. radios, mobile phones, satellite phones, SPOTs etc.
- Call your designated Contact People
- Call 000 and ask for Police [more information]
- Activate your PLB. If other communications are not possible and there is a threat of grave and imminent danger, activate your Distress Beacon (PLB or EPIRB) if you have one.
- Make your position visible to searchers on land and in the air; e.g. lighting a fire or leaving bright clothing in an open area that can be seen.
- Stay together. If you are in a group stay together, never separate.
- Stay warm and dry. Be aware it can take a considerable time for rescuers to reach you so your priority is to remain warm and dry.
- Ration your food and water if necessary. Source local water if possible and it is safe to do so.
- Wait for rescue